Table of Contents
What are 3 things you look for in a manager?
Consider these 12 must-have qualities of a manager that can supply a roadmap to professional excellence.
- They build a work culture of mutual trust.
- They focus on employee strengths.
- They do not micromanage.
- They are assertive.
- They help develop employees’ careers.
- They handle pressure well.
- They communicate honestly.
What three things does a manager need to support?
Here are some simple expectations that the best employees have of their bosses:
- Be consistent with meaningful communication.
- Give recognition and praise.
- Provide feedback, mentorship, and training.
- Create a work culture by design.
- Create a safe space for failure.
- Provide strong leadership and a clear vision.
What advice would you give a first time manager on being a successful manager?
Top Tips for First-Time Managers
- Start delegating. You’re no longer just a doer, checking tasks off a to-do list.
- Learn how to address difficult situations.
- Acknowledge changed relationships.
- Focus on building trust.
- Offer timely feedback.
- Ask for feedback.
- Find a mentor.
- Don’t let yourself get discouraged.
What do you need most from your manager to be effective in your role?
To establish trust, create a safe, positive working environment with open, honest, two-way communication. Trust that your employees will meet or exceed organizational goals when working in a productive, safe, and supportive environment. Set up your employees for success, not failure.
How could your manager best support you?
Tell them about your goals and the steps you’re taking to reach them. Send frequent messages of support and encouragement to your teams to call out their great work. Thank you cards or real-time recognition, whether monetary or social, during team meetings are a great way to show your employees you care.
What advice would you give to someone who is going to become a first-time manager in terms of communication?
Stick to observable facts.
- Empower the team and don’t micromanage. You empower your team when you establish clear communication and expectations.
- Express interest and concern for your team.
- Model a productive and results-oriented mindset.
- Be a good communicator and share information.
How do I help my first-time manager?
5 ways to support a first-time manager
- Create an environment of communication and collaboration. Employees are spending more time away from their office desk — working in remote locations or as deskless workers.
- Provide additional training.
- Bring managers together.
- Ask open-ended questions.
- Promote positivity.